2. Collection.While you can use some functions of the Sites without being a registered user, certain activities (such as viewing property contact information and advertising a property) do require registration. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. In most cases, the information we hold about you is collected through the Sites, but we may also collect information from private-label, co-branded and affiliate websites, tools, applications or services ("Other Sites").
Depending on the services used, we may collect and store the following personal information:
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII) which may include contact information such as name, email address, address and telephone number;
- Move-in date and demographic information such as gender, age, marital status, occupation, and other personal and lifestyle information (however that information may be gathered);
- Financial information such as credit card or bank account information and numbers;
- Additional information we may ask you to send or questions we may ask you to answer to verify your identity (such as copies of your driver's license, credit card statement, and/or a recent utility bill or other information to confirm your identity);
- Logs, contact information and other information about the communications between Tenants and Landlords using our communications tools (see Lead Response below).
- Lease terms, lease parties and other transactional information;
- Aggregate information based on your interactions with the Sites or the Other Sites and their advertising, such as search information, computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to, from and within the Sites or Other Sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information.
- Supplemental information from third parties (for example, if you incur a debt to us, we may conduct a credit check by obtaining additional information about you from a credit bureau, as permitted by law).
- Information about your computer or other access device to mitigate risk and for fraud prevention purposes.
3. Ownership and Use of Information.Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, efficient, and customized experience.
Any information collected by us in connection with your use of the Sites – regardless of whether characterized as PII or aggregate – will belong exclusively to us and may be used, maintained, updated, disclosed, or sold by us as desired in our sole discretion as permitted by law. We may share all or some information with:
- Other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information, or about whom you are explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service. (The information we disclose in this way may be subject to those third parties' privacy policies.)
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as fraud investigations, bill collection, invoicing, affiliate and rewards programs and co-branded credit cards).
- Another business entity should we (or our assets) plan to merge with, or be acquired by that business entity.
We may also use your personal information to:
- Provide the services and customer support you request, including confirming emails related to the Sites’ services, reminders and transactions;
- Provide the ability to communicate with Tenants and Landlords;
- Resolve disputes, collect fees owed, and troubleshoot problems;
- Customize your experience and otherwise measure and improve the Sites’ services;
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences. You will be able to opt-out of such uses of your information; see Email Preferences and About Cookies below;
- Compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties;
- Measure consumer interest in and behavior relative to our products and services;
- Help promote a safe service by detecting and preventing error, fraud, and other potentially prohibited or illegal activity;
- Enforce our agreements, terms, conditions, and policies; and
- Provide services as otherwise described to you at the time of data collection.
4. Communications and Communication Tools.We communicate with users, and facilitate communication between users, in a variety of ways.
- Lead Response. We make tools available that facilitate communication between Tenants and Landlords by phone or email. When these tools are used, we may collect certain information related to the communication, like contact logs, calling number, call duration, contents of the email communication, and (when notified during the call) call recordings. We may share this information with Landlords so they can manage their communications with Tenants, and we will use this information to enforce our rights to collect fees owed.
- Sharing. If you use our email tools to share a posting or advertisement with a third party, we do not permanently store the email address you give us or use that email address for any marketing purpose. We do not rent or sell these email addresses.
- Email Preferences. We provide all users with the opportunity to opt out of receiving non-essential (promotional, marketing-related) communications from us after setting up an account. To remove your contact information from our lists and newsletters, please send an email to [email protected] that contains the email address you'd like to unsubscribe.
- Email Content. If you add content (including text and post photos) of potential rental properties on the Sites, your content will be displayed on the Sites and treated like other personal information you have provided. If your posting contains personal information, post only personal information for which you have authorization and which you are comfortable having displayed on the Sites.
5. Cookies.We or our service providers may place cookies or web beacons on your computer when you visit all or portions of the Sites. We use permanent cookies to provide personalized features, such as automatically logging you into your personalized home page and to deliver customized services, content, and advertising.
We use session cookies, which are deleted when you log out of the Sites or browse to a different website, to monitor and improve the functionality and usability of our website. You can block our cookies by changing the settings on your browser (contact your ISP for help), but doing so may prevent us from delivering certain services to you.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our and our advertising partners' behalf. These companies may employ cookies and web beacons to deliver advertising and measure its effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and web beacons is completely anonymous. Please visit these advertising companies’, if any, websites for more information about how to "opt-out."
We encourage you to ask questions before you disclose your personal information to others. The Sites have links to other websites that may collect personal information about you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those linked websites.
7. Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information.You can see, review and change most of your personal information by logging into the Sites and editing your account profile.
8. Account Protection.Your password is the key to your account.
Use unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account.
If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf.
Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify us and change your password.
9. Security.Your information is stored on our servers located in the United States and/or worldwide. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use various tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure.
However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the Sites.
Therefore, although we take great care to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
Amended terms take effect upon posting.